Andrew Abbott's Blog

Wednesday 30 May 2018

Woodyard to Posh. Who saw that coming?




Firstly it would be wrong not to wish Alex all the best in this latest development in his career. I’ve got to admit I never saw him leaving the Cowleys who have been his mentors for some considerable time.

The advisability of this move has to be seriously questioned in my view but plenty of players have done well at London Road and there’s no reason why that shouldn’t include Alex. I do question how Posh can come up with the money to prize away one of our best assets though. That may of course be naivety on my part but they play in front of modest crowds by League One standards although of course there are bigger rewards in the division above.

Posh’s chairman has said Woodyard has chosen ambition over greed. What does that mean? Maybe the play off failure will have greater ramifications than we thought, there’s no getting over the fact that Peterborough are in the division above City and status counts for a lot.

No club can expect to hold on to all its assets come what may so there’s a reality check for us here but there’s no doubt that Woodyard wasn’t quite the player he was after all the speculation over Luton and personally I did wonder if he had quite the capacity for advancement I’d imagined.

I must be very careful here or it will sound decidedly like sour grapes so I’ll merely say I look forward to enjoying the player or players that replace him. There’s one thing you can say with confidence, Lincoln City don’t need the money and I’d expect it all to go in the playing budget.

No comments:

Post a Comment