Andrew Abbott's Blog

Sunday 14 April 2019

Mission accomplished? Don’t you believe it.





I sent my son a picture of that board they put up at Sincil Bank yesterday, Lincoln City promoted 2019. He replied, will we hang on to the Cowleys? I may be being horribly naive here but I don’t think the relationship has been stronger.

Danny Cowley was asked if yesterday was his greatest achievement in football and he said yes. Just looking at Braintree Towns plight though, and I take no pleasure in it but they are relegated and had an average gate this season of 667. Surely getting them to the cusp of the football league was greater?

When the Cowleys joined Lincoln, Braintree’s chairman said he didn’t think Lincoln City was much of a step up. Well now he does. However for us, delighted and pinching ourselves, are Lincoln City at an all time high? No is the answer and that’s why, in my view the Cowleys see Lincoln City as a work in progress and not the finished article.

Danny Cowley is now talking quite openly of the championship and, to be honest we're going to have to deliver on that if we’re going to keep them. His actual words were championship “at least”. Oh my goodness, surely not? Yet you look at the likes of Bournemouth and Burnley? Well, enough of that except to say that sort of stratospheric rise needs investment, big investment yet success breeds success and we’re a much juicier prospect than the Lincoln City anchored; it seemed permanently in the National League.

Anyway, let’s not get carried away and yesterday has to be the strangest promotion imaginable, no pitch invasion mainly because no one was aware it had happened, half the crowd had departed. I had taken my earphones and duly plugged in on the final whistle. Of course you don’t get the match on line any more so it was quite some time before we went live and when Michael Hortins dulcet tones did eventually come through, Alan Long on the tannoy was urging us to go nowhere as we might have done it as indeed we had. Hugs and high fives all round and some sheepish fans arriving home to be asked, what are you doing here? You’re promoted!

I’m certainly glad I got tickets for Carlisle now. It was already a big following and I suspect it’ll be another sell out now if only because, for some reason the shackles are off when City are on the road. We’re going to be champions, I’m certain of that and there’s plenty of time too. First though Cowley verses Cowley is going to be some party.


No comments:

Post a Comment