Andrew Abbott's Blog

Sunday 29 December 2019

Posh, we’re coming to get ya!




The headline for this week was going to be the day all the things that have been going wrong went right, or words to that effect. Michael “Sportin” Hortin of BBC Radio Lincolnshire asked for a description of todays game and that’s what I said. I was slightly taken to task by a follower on twitter who said what about the three things that went wrong? A fair point but missing the point which I will explain.

For a start, we will consider the referee. The start is where we need to look because, from the beginning our man in the middle gave the impression of a star struck fan from the seventies who idolised the very famous Tractor Boys and quite clearly gave the impression he thought that everything Ipswich did was right and therefore everything City did, by the same token, was wrong.

That’s the only explanation I can give as to why the Imps were defending a free kick deliciously in range which Ipswich duly converted with some aplomb. But free kick? I don’t think so.

Add to that some very sloppy play, an own goal and, well you know what I mean because you were there.

However. However, City did not follow the usual script. Is this a foretaste of what we are about to receive? If it is then the board of directors are certainly going to have to think about how they can fit more fans into the LNER Stadium (there I’ve said it) because, once word gets around that City are serving up entertainment like this you can forget about taking the train to see Forest. Yes, I hear you say, The Imps shipped three goals but there again they scored five, I repeat five. Where else are you going to see that?

I’ll let you in to a little secret. I sit next to a lady I hardly know. I know which village she lives in, she knows where I live. We’re both shareholders and we sit together at the AGM. That’s it. When City fashion a win from nowhere however, when the Imps score a worldy we hug. It gets you like that. Otherwise we wouldn’t. After the game my wife asks, “did you hug?” It’s not a big deal. It is a reflection of the game though. Strictly speaking there should have been two but we limited it to one. I don’t want my friend Stewart getting jealous.

So be afraid, Peterborough, be very afraid. In all certainty you’ll win but, catch us in this mood there’ll be hugs. So just watch out.

No comments:

Post a Comment