Andrew Abbott's Blog

Sunday 6 December 2020

Is this really happening?

 

I’d imagine you’ve probably had the same sort of daydreams to me. You know, the one where you win the lottery and buy Lincoln City, invest in lots of wonderful players and the club miraculously start to rise through the leagues and next thing you know they’re looking down on most of the others. It’s a daydream not complete fantasy so you make a deal. Don’t get carried away, the club enjoy an extended run in the championship rather than the prem. You choose something that is actually achievable but the thought of doing it is pretty much in the realms of, well your wildest dreams really.

After yesterday, for me at any rate those wildest dreams are starting to unfold before my very eyes except of course they’re not. I haven’t seen any of that first hand. I either see it on my TV or hear about it on the radio. Am I in some weird sort of parallel universe? Is this the trade off? Your team will get to the promised land only you won’t get to see it? Even more strangely, how many of us would actually accept that deal? I think I just might.

Just trying to come back to earth for a moment something that is starting to dawn on supporters, accepting that this really is happening and City are really second in league one with Christmas just round the corner is the, again nightmare thought that one or two of these players of ours, and I think you know which one in particular I’m talking about, may be on their way before we’ve even seen them.

Supporters are starting to drift back into stadia, not us, typically, and judging by the scenes on Lincoln High Street yesterday not anytime soon either. The infection rate in our neck of the woods remains stubbornly high. Will the vaccine, as has been speculated elsewhere, ride over the horizon to our rescue?

I don’t know. Anyway, don’t wake me. I’m having the most wonderful dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment