Andrew Abbott's Blog

Saturday 28 October 2017

The Lincoln City theory of relativity.




I said in the pub before the match that City’s game v Crawley Town had nil nil written all over it.

For a few minutes at the start I allowed myself the thought that I was wide of the mark in my assessment as the Imps once again started brightly. It didn’t last long. City’s problem today was virtually no one had a good game. Eardley, Rhead and Dickey were ok. Vickers would have been my man of the match. The rest were ordinary at best. Alex Woodyard looked all over the place and Raggett was awful. Hopefully Norwich weren’t looking or they’d be wondering where they put the receipt. Then again perhaps that’s not so bad.

City came up against a Crawley side that are making up the numbers in league two but have no intention of giving up their place in the division. The Imps did not have the guile to overcome a resolute Crawley rearguard, nowhere near. On today’s evidence the window cannot open too soon.

Yet, as I texted my very good friend a Boston United supporter who just happens to be my boss I realised I really had nothing to complain about. The Pilgrims had lost at home again. They have no money, under a thousand were in attendance, their relatively new manager appears clueless and here I was moaning that our gate was only just over 8000 and City had failed to go fifth. I found myself almost apologetic for my arrogance

So yes, it was a lacklustre, turgid display. City’s shot shy attack failed to inspire themselves or me. The midfield were clueless, defence wobbly. Would I swap where we are for any time in the last twenty years? No.

I'll shut up then.Probably the best policy.



PS. Adam Murray resigned as Boston United manager last night. The Pilgrims are firmly in the sort of endless spiral of managerial upheaval which we're all too familiar with. See above.

No comments:

Post a Comment