Andrew Abbott's Blog

Thursday 13 June 2019

Can no news possibly be good news? I really wouldn’t know.




Well how’ve you been, had a holiday yet? It’s certainly been quiet in Impdom lately. Personally I stepped back my twitter following as a result of all the West Bromwich Albion speculation. It’s not safe to say I told you so as the Albion haven’t yet appointed a manager although the latest speculation is it’s going to be Slaven Bilic. With that sort of name in the frame was Danny ever really in the mix, whatever the bookies might have said?

Albion let it be known, if we’re to believe what we read, that Danny Cowley’s demands were more than the former premier league outfit were likely to concede. A tenure of more than six months presumably. That assumes there was contact and the club said no permission was sought to talk. I know who I believe.

When you think about it, what was in that for the Cowleys? Apart from Sir Alex when he was manager I can’t think of a management team who are more secure than them at the moment. I’m not so naive as to suggest their remuneration package is anything like that which could be offered by any of the big boys but Danny has said he’s not motivated by money. Lincoln City is a club in their image. Let’s be a bit more realistic and mention two local clubs, say Peterborough United and Doncaster Rovers, both incidentally not looking for a manager so don’t read anything into that but can you imagine the Cowleys having anything like the sway they have at Sincil Bank with those sort of clubs, ambitious as they undoubtedly are? It’s going to happen but not with the likes of WBA or Hull City for that matter who, I hope I’m not flattering City here, are even less of a draw than the Albion.

I suppose in my heart of hearts I’d hoped for a flurry of activity starting with the capture of Mark O’Hara but that hasn’t happened and neither has anything else. According to Posh’s vocal chairman, who I have a lot of time for incidentally, a deal isn’t going to happen because City can’t afford the fee. I’m not sure about that either. A communicative chairman is one thing but business is business. It suits Peterborough of course to put out speculation like that about City, now uncomfortably on the same competing level as Posh and inconveniently on the rise as opposed to United’s seeming plateau. It’s good publicity for MacAnthony to remind Posh’s fans that we’re not on the same level financially, which were not but since when did finances get in the way of the Cowleys or City’s ambitions?

I think the truth of the matter may be that a bid or bids may be in the offing for one or more City players, the name bandied about is Bruno Andrade and if that happens that may trigger transfer activity. Even before the end of last season I was talking to a supposed friend of Bruno who indicated that in all likelihood he would be off and he may not be the last. Is that the end of the world? I would suggest not. Like all the others we’re a trading club and none more so than our friends down the A1 who seem to be in the enviable position of being able to speculatively take players on with a view to selling them. That, and a productive academy programme is surely the way forward for the Imps?

No comments:

Post a Comment