Andrew Abbott's Blog

Monday 15 March 2021

Where to now, City?

 

Occasionally I watch a game, Burnley perhaps and I think, could we? Is there any way? Then something happens, I wake up maybe or something like Lincoln City 1 Rochdale 2 and I think, be careful what you wish for. Do we want be Wycombe, a season of struggle followed by immediate relegation?

Of course, we have been there before and you may say to yourself, yes, I do want that, I do want my team to play even one season at the second level, even if it is unsuccessful, I’ll take that.

A few weeks ago, I had little doubt, the Imps were ready. A few tweaks here and there, the loan players will go back and will be replaced but yes we’re good to go.

That was when City were easily disposing of comparative minnows like Rochdale. True, we’ve often struggled with teams fighting for their lives but City marched on, top of the league or thereabouts. Our young side were untroubled by the task ahead, undaunted by the challenge. Then came the inevitable squad reduction, the losses and draws. We often wonder what the lack of us fans in the stadium means. Saturday was the first time I thought, I’m glad we weren’t there, I’m glad I didn’t see that, I’m glad I didn’t hear the reception and there would have been one.

For some people, I won’t call them supporters if the team lose, they boo. I don’t think our young side need to hear that right now and for the first time I don’t really know what I want to happen. I haven’t enjoyed a game all that much lately. Yes, Crewe was a good result, but did I enjoy it? Ipswich was OK afterwards; I did like the fact we’d gone there and survived but is that what I want?

Yet even now, were still third in the table. True not the promotion candidates in waiting we were but we’re still there. We know, or we’re pretty sure we know what’s required, it’s to get some of the walking wounded back playing, principally Bridcutt and Walsh. We need to get the heart of the team back together again, pass the ball, get bodies in the way of shots, the simple things.

Next come Gillingham and our nemesis. Well, he knows what to do now doesn’t he? Play like Rochdale and those lesser lights before them who have come to the LNER Stadium with the combination in their notes. Question is, can they do it? Or can City negate those tactics and keep the great tactician quiet, or as Michael Appleton put it, put him back in his box?

I’m not sure I want to see that or not, but of course I will and so will you. How do I answer the questions I posed at the start? I don’t know, and I don’t suppose you do but ask me again in a couple of days.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment