Andrew Abbott's Blog

Thursday 16 January 2020

No news is merely a postponement.




I was feeling a little bit out of sorts on Tuesday. I don’t know what it was and it’s gone now but I just didn’t feel my usual self. On the face of it, last Tuesday’s game was one of the results, if not the performances of the season.

I didn’t feel it was the sort of game people were talking about though. Given the weather conditions and I suppose we should say the state of the pitch which I keep hearing about but I have to say looks decent enough to me, I was entertained enough.

I find myself saying “if this is the future” quite a lot these days but if this is the future I suppose a lot more investment is going to go into the pitch as City finally ditch any last vestiges of long ball Lincoln. I always thought a lot of this was in the minds of opposition players and managers who had not done their homework to be honest. I don’t think we’ve been long ball for some time and one person’s long ball is anothers long pass.

Anyway, Tuesday and after I got home I read a tweet from a lady Imp, one of my favourite tweeters. Trust a woman to hit the nail on the head. “That felt like a defeat after the news about Toff”

Ah yes, the news about Toff or rather the lack of news. Like most I saw the shirtless Toffolo applauding all four sides of the stadium. That was why I felt a bit low.

And yet, what are we to expect following a team like the Imps? We’re a trading club like all the rest. We try to pick out gems, give them a bit of a polish and sell them on. If we’re going to prosper and flourish at this and even a higher level there will be a lot more of this. I don’t believe this board and this manager, in an ideal world, see Lincoln City as a league one club. They want more, I want more, you want more. How do we do it? Finding, improving, trading players.

I keep harping on about Peterborough but that’s what they do. That’s why they’re a bigger club than us. That’s the model we’re trying to emulate but don’t get the idea it’s the cut price option. If you want a lovely field of potatoes come July you’re going to have to spend some money and time in March. We’re not Salford City or Forest Green Rovers, thank goodness. Thanks to good management and tight control City can afford to pick and choose who they sell and when. Make no mistake Harry Toffolo will go at some stage whether it’s today or in May, so will others. It’s what we do.

Please don’t get the impression I don’t care about these departing players, I do but as the saying goes, don’t cry because it’s over, celebrate the fact it happened at all. We’ve had the pleasure of watching these marvellous players. In Toffs case, if he ends up in the Prem I don’t think he’ll have a better season than this one.

Good luck to them and good luck to us. We all deserve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment