Andrew Abbott's Blog

Saturday 18 January 2020

Lifes a beach. A pleasure beach.




Be honest. If someone had offered you, in the immediate post Cowley era, 12th in the league, 4 points from the playoffs and 15 points from the relegation places you’d have snapped their hands off wouldn’t you? I know I would. If you’d also said, whisper it quietly, the football would be better and more purposeful how would that make you feel? That goals do not have to come from well engineered free kicks and corners, that our team can create goals and convert them from open play with skill, guile and energy. You’d take that wouldn’t you?

If the answer to any of the above questions is no I’d advise you’re supporting the wrong team but it would be wrong to say things can’t get any better because all the signs are, it can.

Way back in the days when the city boasted a football echo the nearest thing City have to a national treasure, Mr Chris Ashton, wrote a column entitled The Oracle of Optimism. In it he once said he didn’t see why anyone would get on the train to watch Forest struggle in the championship when they could watch City battle to leave the fourth division behind. I didn’t agree with him. I had my first job and my first car and myself and a mate toured the area watching football. The nearest First Division side (premiership) were Derby County. You could just turn up and go in. Forest, Leicester, Both Sheffield sides, I think, were in the championship as it’s now called, Notts County were in League One as it is now as were Grimsby.

So I used to go and watch them all although when I saw the Mariners it was at Meadow Lane where we were accused of being closet Grimsby supporters. I still have very hot showers to scrub away the thought of that.

Now Leicester are the local bigwigs. Personally I wish them well but would I go and see them or any of our local sides, when City are at home, no I would not.

It’s been a tough week to be an Imp yet the team has garnered another six points to underline a really strong home record. These are uncertain times and yet, with every home game we see more of the future and the more I see the more I like.

I comment less and less on City’s performances because you can read about them in many outlets but I will say the signs are good. The new players acquitted themselves well. Particularly in the second half. Michael Appleton has promised we will be watching fast, skilful play from energetic young players. Not for us players signing lucrative three and four year contracts and the club paying out million pound fees. Fast exciting energetic play from our young team with a winning mentality, particularly at home.

I think I could live with that, couldn’t you?


No comments:

Post a Comment