Andrew Abbott's Blog

Wednesday 27 October 2021

A tale of two Cities.

 

I’m not a great one for away games these days and I don’t usually avail myself of the delights of i follow. Unlike last season which, in the memory seems to have been so unlikely but, like you I suspect I watched nearly all the games, home and away through that usually one eyed medium.

Everyone was talking last night about Wigan being the latest moneybags outfit. They didn’t like that much did they? Wigan fans protested that their team cost nothing in transfer fees but that is only half of the story and as many pointed out the sort of players they have attracted aren’t there because the Latics used to be quite famous.

Last season was different and City were able to compete on more equal terms because of the salary cap but you could tell who had the money because the production values on i follow were much better. Needless to say City couldn’t afford any fancy dan dual camera arrangements.

Anyway, my own set up for away games usually comprises, lap top, for twitter, my DAB radio and Sky on the i pad. This frees up my phone for whatsapp messages to my co sufferer Stewart. City, as we know tore into Wigan and at two nil I messaged to ask why City can display such a lack of cutting edge against Wimbledon and yet go to Sheffield Wednesday and Wigan Athletic and do so well, Come to think of it, I’m still waiting for a reply.

If you’re looking for a tactical analysis you’re in the wrong place, as I’ve pointed out several times before but it has to be something to do with the way the Imps are set up although we all, I suspect, fall into the trap of saying, defeat, bad performance, win, good performance.

Back to i player or You Tube probably, a different story emerges as the highlights are viewed. City maybe aren’t as bad as we assumed and indeed Michael Appleton is adamant that City played well in the defeat to Wimbledon. As fans of course we question that view as no points were accrued but managers see matters differently to us.

Not for the first time I find myself agonising over the fact that City are saving their best performances for away games. I’m not complaining as the name of the game, as far as I'm concerned, is preserving our place in the division in the first instance. I’m quite hopeful that either the planned reinforcements may materialise after Christmas or other targets with any luck can be secured but I’m not so swept away by recent success to think every season can be a winning one.

If I could be so bold a little bit of the stardust of the last two away performances wouldn’t go amiss this Saturday at home though. I’m sure you’d like that too?

No comments:

Post a Comment