Andrew Abbott's Blog

Monday 4 October 2021

Battling City get the point.

I’ve never for one moment believed City would be in trouble this season. Saturdays game v Plymouth Argyle said to me I was right in that view. Argyle are a good side and City came back from behind, twice to take a share of the points. For a while, at the start, not for the first time this season, I thought the Imps were destined for a win but chances came and went and, if I’m honest maybe it wasn’t that much of a surprise that Plymouth scored.

Being realistic, I couldn’t see any way back for the Imps at that point but they proved me wrong with, firstly the sort of scuffed effort from Sorensen that you start to think is the only way we’re going to get back into the game. Someone said, we just need the ball to cannon off someones backside or something like that. Sorensens effort was in that category I thought. I don’t think the manager is that chuffed with Sorensen judging by his comments but, scuffed or not, when you factor in getting tripped in the box it was his two involvements that got us the point.

Do I sound a bit down? I actually came away from the LNER quite buoyed up. Any thoughts that City may kick on from last season and do well again are firmly on the back burner, if indeed I ever had them which I don’t think I did. It was quite obvious that last season presented a great opportunity for the likes of City as it was a much more level playing field. If that’s a pun, sorry but the bigger clubs weren’t able to spend their way out of the division and the Imps were competing on far more equal terms. Anyway, that was then and this is now.

It was a mammoth struggle to get back into the game. That’s what its going to be this season and for the future. When you see games being postponed because of international commitments, in league one, it brings home the quality of players competing in the division. I’m not sure that was the case previously. Actually, the enforced day off may well work in the Imps favour, as it has in the past. Two more limped off on Saturday and you do wonder if the manager will ever have a full squad of players to choose from. Some are questioning the choice of players who don’t have a great injury record. It’s worked in the past. Are we coming unstuck with that policy?

There’s no doubt in my mind if and when City do get in that happy position they will pick up points far more readily but in the meantime we fight on. As previously mentioned Plymouth are a more than decent outfit and City equalled them, so we’ve got to be satisfied with that. Kind of on the same subject Argyles fans made a fair old racket and I thought we equalled them in that too, particularly at the end when a wall of noise roared our heroes over the finish line.

On reflection then, are we downhearted? Not a bit of it.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment