Andrew Abbott's Blog

Sunday 8 January 2012

Same old City

We had a nice long Christmas break but, as usual didn’t manage to cram in all the things we wanted to do. One of those was a visit to my sister in Oxfordshire. It would have been unthinkable in Keith’s time but we decided to go this weekend, missing the home game against York.



I didn’t really think about my mate Stewart but I just happened to glance at my phone whilst, you might not be surprised to hear this, having a drink with my brother and sisters partner. Stewart had asked about the game, I texted back apologising for not being in touch but I was in a pub in Oxford. It was about 3.20. Back came a reply, “you’re not missing much.”

Later on we were, ahem, having a drink before dinner. Our charming waitress was French. I ordered a pint of Hardy and Hansons bitter, which used to be local to us but not now. I still like it though. My sisters partner said, meme chose, the same, just being friendly but it reminded me of a saying that certainly sums up City at the moment. “plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose.

The more things change the more they stay the same in case you’re unfamiliar with it and after the week we’ve had, hard to disagree with. A week of frenetic activity, same home defeat to show for it. When will the tide turn for our hapless club and will it all end in tears for yet another manager battling against the tide of under funding ? The relative security of our position before Christmas is a memory now and we are looking vulnerable again. Plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose. I’ll have another pint please.



The lovely city of Oxford. Nothing to to keep us at Sincil Bank at the moment. How things change!

No comments:

Post a Comment