Andrew Abbott's Blog

Wednesday 25 October 2017

JMD takes his chances.




I don’t really want to get involved in the boycott controversy. If a fan doesn’t want to go fair enough but to try to persuade others not to support our club? I don’t get that. In a world where clubs can’t afford a reserve team I’d have thought a so called B team competition would be a good thing. I’ve seen some great reserve games with players freed from the pressures of the league. This is different in that there’s a Wembley final. Boycott that? I’d walk to Wembley to see City play there whatever the name of the competition. Anyway, it’s your decision. I hear the argument about Premier League under 21 teams getting in league two and I’m dead against that and think it’s unworkable but I leave our club to defend their position.

Last night was, I thought a fascinating encounter, Everton obviously were schooled to spray the ball about but were quickly undone by two great, in their own way, goals. Jordan Maguire Drew’s exquisite free kick delivering what we always hope to see where City get an opportunity around the box. Everton, according to Danny Cowley cost good money to assemble and featured a couple of expensive signings so you’d expect something of a fightback and for the Toffees better quality players to have better footballing brains. Their goal was anything but exquisite though, scruffy would be a better description.

On reflection Everton didn’t really threaten City’s goal all that much and there is an argument, I’ll agree, against letting these teams in the competition. When my son was at Forests school of excellence the emphasis was on pass pass pass. Scoring was almost an irrelevance in fact in games so many passes were rewarded with a goal. The idea was to retain the ball. City could, I’m sure benefit from a bit more of that in League Two but the be all and end all of the game? Not for me.

So there we are. I went, I enjoyed it, I’d go again. I make no further comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment