Andrew Abbott's Blog

Sunday 19 August 2018

City not yet the finished article. It’s not as if we haven’t been warned.





When City swept away Swindon Town last Saturday Danny Cowley was strangely downbeat as he patiently, yet again, explained that the Imps were far from home and dry. Personally I wasn’t far from checking league one to see who we could be playing next season.

Of course, I was wrong and he was right as yesterdays performance at Blundell Park demonstrated. City scraped a draw with a fortuitous penalty as a Mariners supporter of my acquaintance described it. I wouldn’t know until I see it but, as they say, they all count and City remain top of the league or they would if Lincoln began with an e and Exeter didn’t if you see what I mean.

Yet I do wonder if, given time that point may eventually be regarded as a decent one. I’m starting to be persuaded that Grimsby Town may not be as poor as their early season form might suggest. I certainly think in Michael Jolley Mariners might have unearthed a saviour if, of course he is allowed the time to find his feet.

That is no concern of ours although I bear them no malice. If they can get themselves to the business end of the table they’ll be a lot more deserving than some clubs I could mention, naming no names.

It’s still only August and nobody won the league at this time of year. Despite Cowleys warning I do believe that the league is ours for the taking and I don’t expect City to be so backward coming forward on Tuesday and, whilst I expect a battle royal the following Saturday when Notts County are the visitors I still think the Imps will have far too much in their locker to be pegged back by our visitors from Nottingham. I don’t expect them to believe that but I do.

As always time will tell but I think City will approach these two games believing and expecting six points from the fixtures. It’s up to them to achieve that.

No comments:

Post a Comment