Andrew Abbott's Blog

Wednesday 22 August 2018

The good the bad and the ugly.




I must admit I was dismayed when I saw Matt Rhead was starting last night, I know that will not go down well in some quarters but for me it was back to the old days. Not that it seemed that way at the beginning of the first half, both teams looking bright and resolute. It was obvious Bury had not come to be rolled over. Having expressed my disappointment at his early involvement, in the opening phases I thought Rhead was effective and one thing you can’t say is he doesn’t win headers because he does, nearly all of them.

Gradually though City started to resemble their old, sterile worst, the crowd got, well bored actually, certainly much quieter than usual. Bury must have been delighted and even more so when they scored first. Their passing showed City up and players that had been performing well, young Chapman principally but midfield in general, just seemed to melt away. How we missed Woodyard.

The half time whistle came as a relief to players management and fans. It was no surprise things were changed around after half time and after the break the fans woke up too. We’ve grown unaccustomed to being given the run around and it was as if collectively the fans had decided City were not going to be defeated. How that was to be achieved was still a mystery but gradually the tide turned. There was the now almost inevitable penalty put away, as usual by John Akinde. I’ve heard some criticism of our new striker from some quarters. I know I don’t know a lot about tactics but I don’t understand that at all.

With the penalty came a second yellow for Bury and you just knew City, or their supporters, weren’t going to settle for the draw that I would have gladly accepted at half time.

Call it lucky, call it resolute, call it what you like, it’s what we do. Bring on the Magpies.

No comments:

Post a Comment