Andrew Abbott's Blog

Sunday 30 December 2018

The road to promotion. It’s not easy.




I have to admit, I feel amused and irritated in equal measure when I follow the Imps on twitter when they’re on the road. I do listen to the live commentary too but like to check what everyone is saying, well sometimes I do.

One story that had me spluttering into my tea was the one about the supposed eight page letter sent in to Danny Cowley pointing out where he is going wrong. Can that be true? If it is I can point to any number of instances of things going wrong, disastrously wrong over a lifetime of supporting the Imps. I’d imagine you could too unless of course you’ve only just started to follow the red and white army in which case disaster could be, say for example failing by the odd goal at Crewe.

Anyway, City put the record straight yesterday at Cambridge with a win coming from behind, they’re always the most satisfying, and you’ve got to say it’s all there for the taking.

If you ask most City fans what their hope is for the season I dare say the answer would be not victory at Everton, although it’s a possibility, or even winning the championship. I’d say what most of us had on our Santa’s letter was promotion itself. The title would be nice but playing in league one next season would be the most highly valued prize. Personally, I’m greedy and of course the championship means promotion and I think that is important for the managers to have that on their CV’s and the players deserve it as do most of us, the fans, Not you Mr (or Mrs or Miss) letter writer. You’d better get back to championship manager or whatever the latest version is, it has about as much relevance to running a proper football club as Subbuteo which was the equivalent when I were a lad.

In the same vein, what I do when looking at the league two table is to note the points total the Imps have and compare it to the team in fourth place, the top three going up and fourth and below going in to the playoffs. No thank you very much. The playoffs are fine provided you get promoted and we know all about that. Even so, all the clubs involved end up a month behind everyone else so if it’s all the same top three will do very nicely.

Having said that I’m not getting any younger and silverware does look lovely in the boardroom even if it does need polishing now and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment