Andrew Abbott's Blog

Friday 15 February 2019

A club on the move.




It was Lincoln City’s annual general meeting this week. This is when the shareholders, of which I’m one, meet with the directors of the club to authorise the way the board run the show. The organisation of the club is a matter for the board but they, ultimately are responsible to the shareholders so just to quote one of the functions of the AGM each director only sits on the board for a certain length of time and, assuming he or she wished to continue after that, must submit themselves for re election. Similarly a new director wishing to serve on the board must be elected by the shareholders.

There are other functions of being a shareholder and the board and chairman are available to be questioned, and they are questioned by the shareholders as to the way the club is run. I find it quite amusing that sometimes the chairman seems to be expecting possibly a battle over something or other and I’d imagine there would have been quite a few of those over the years but it’s quite diverting to see the look of relief when the moment passes. I have to say, just as there probably has never been a better time to be a fan of Lincoln City the same can be said of being a director and chairman.

Of course one of the main functions of the AGM is to receive and approve the yearly accounts and these make good reading although, as everyone now knows the club did make a loss in the last financial year and the reason for that is the club are making hay while the sun shines. Those losses, we learned on Wednesday, I don’t think I’m saying anything I shouldn’t do here, those losses are covered by inward investment from parties who are not yet on the board so the club are investing income and more in an attempt to move the club up the pyramid, but in a sensible and sustainable way. Truly, I think you’ll agree, wonderful times to be an Imp as we head for waters unexplored for some considerable time..

There aren’t many circumstances where the club would not sell shares to supporters, it helps the club and you get a say in the doings of the board. It doesn’t have to be a large amount. Why not give it a go yourselves?

On to Saturday and another home game. Unusually for me I’ve been to a couple of away games so it’s been a continuous diet of footy, not that I’m complaining but I’m looking forward to seeing Paul Farman again tomorrow. Mostly I’m looking forward to seeing him pick the ball out of Stevenage’s net. Keep that to yourselves won’t you?

No comments:

Post a Comment