Andrew Abbott's Blog

Sunday 28 April 2019

Stop the league, I want to get off.





Talk about after the Lord Mayors Show, the end of the season, post championship was always going to go one of two ways. Either a resurgent Imps, freed from the shackles of league responsibility would put on some real displays or fail to gain much more from the remaining fixtures. It’s the latter.

MK Dons was our finest hour it would seem. We were superb that day. Carlisle, the less said about that the better. I did feel Tranmere, for a nil nil was good entertainment and now Newport. Entirely predictable to be honest. I’m not brimming with confidence about the final game either.

We shouldn’t complain though, it’s been a sparkling season of mainly highs but, now that we're a league one side or at least we will be I suppose I was expecting that the results would reflect that. Instead we’ve had something of a reality check.

Of course, if the last championship and promotion is anything to go be the team that lines up next season may not be entirely recognisable. Danny Cowley is, I’m sure a very nice man but he’s uncompromising in his ambition and I don’t think sentiment will come into it. As Cowley said, he’s not in the business of consolidating. We may be perfectly happy with a mid table finish next season but I don’t think the managers will be. They will want, at least to have a tilt at the playoffs and if that means jettisoning players we hold dear or we think of as stars they will do it so I’m expecting some surprises.

The big imponderable is finance. Danny Cowley feels City are a tempting investment. Clive Nates says irons are in the fire. I could probably spare a couple of hundred quid for some more shares. I don’t think either of them had that in mind when they said more local investors would be desirable and I don’t do the lottery so I’m out. That side of things is a worry, players come and go and we know Danny can find them but I think we’re all agreed, whilst this seasons performance has been more than adequate what holds us back as real high flyers is the lack of a twenty goal a season man.

Personally, I think we’ve got one, potentially, in the shape of Akinde but to see him at his productive best he needs a partner and that isn’t going to come cheap so if a big money offer comes in for Anderson or Toffolo or Andrade it wouldn’t surprise me if we take it. I could be entirely wrong but one things for sure, it’s not going to be a quiet summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment