Andrew Abbott's Blog

Saturday 9 November 2019

Disappointed with a draw at Ipswich, are you kidding?




Do you remember that feeling of elation coupled with the thoughts of what might have been as we trooped away from Portman Road as a non league side? We were bound to lose the replay, we’d thrown away our best chance of going through surely?

We hadn’t of course and for me the disposal of Ipswich Town, the great Ipswich Town more than any of the cup fixtures got me thinking we could mix it with the big boys.

Now, we’re cursing our luck that we didn’t finish the job. Unlikely as it seems we’re on a par with the Tractor Boys. How does that make you feel? I peer back on a very long road covered in a very short space of time. Old fogeys like me hark back to Ipswich’s glory days playing in European competitions, one of the first clubs to embrace continental players in their team, managed by two eventual England managers. That Ipswich, the one were playing as equals. Sure they’re a bit down on their luck, the possibility of them returning to the top flight is remote and yet, and yet, compared to where we were we are the big boys.

My friend, the Boston United fan is praying we get through so they can draw us in the second round of the cup. He’d always want to draw us in the next round of the cup of course because we’re Lincoln but it’s more that that, we’re Lincoln City, league one. Same as Peterborough, same as Sunderland. He knows ninety nine times out of a hundred we’d beat them but he still wants to play us.

So yes, we’re a bit sore. Had the lead and threw it away, again, but you have to be in the lead to throw it away. Am I downhearted? No I’m not. Frustrated yes. A bit unsure about the future yes. Confused as to where we’re going, I suppose so.

But do I think we’re going back to where we were when we last played Ipswich, no. No I don't. Get that out of your head right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment