Andrew Abbott's Blog

Monday 27 January 2020

Akinde goes, City lose away. What did you expect?




I just realised that sounded like John Akinde has been sold and we have therefore lost. That’s not what I meant but it might have got me a few more readers. I’m not a site dependent on clicks, I’d sooner have readers so there you are, you’re in now so you may as well read on.

Akinde going, well I suppose you could say that’s put us all out of our misery, no one more than the player. I can imagine what the next chapter in the story is, given that we have not yet played Gillingham at home. Personally I liked the player. Did we get value for money? In terms of goals scored no, in terms of contribution yes.

I don’t really know what people expect from a player for whom we paid, for us, big money. For a start we don’t know what we paid and I’ll say now that annoys me. Why is it always an undisclosed fee these days? I want to know.

Secondly it’s not big money is it? I thought I’d heard £150000. the Gillingham papers stated getting on for £400000. We get similar with the Peterborough hacks. I’d be surprised if it were the higher figure, I’ll say that. Whatever it is, it’s not much. A big figure even at our level is a million plus. When, if ever, are we likely to pay that?

So what did we think we were getting? 20 goals a season that’s what most of us were expecting and we didn’t get. Boo hoo. I thought he was worth the money for the penalties alone but he wasn’t an Appleton player so we might as well get on with it. I’m not sure Harry Toffolo’s value was anything other than the money Appleton could get for him if I’m honest and he’s gone. As far as I can see, Appleton has come in, finds a team struggling with life in league one, unbalanced squad, not playing the football he wants. Solution, to use an expression much used by the beloved Keith. If they’re not doing the business, I’ll get a team that can.

Which brings us nicely to our away form. Keiths teams, famously got most of their points away from home, most wins, that’s for sure. The reason? We fans were too quiet. Well I think we’ve disproved that theory. City are now, to a degree reliable at home and nearly men away.

They’re all close results though and once Appleton gets to grips with that. Well better fasten your seat belt that’s all I can say.

No comments:

Post a Comment