Andrew Abbott's Blog

Friday 16 December 2011

Festive Cheer but not festive weather please.

Manager David Holdsworth and Francis Laurent along with the rest of the squad paid a visit to the children’s ward at Lincoln County Hospital to deliver presents donated by the football club and Lincoln Cooperative Society to children that were going to have to spend Christmas away from home. I’m going to resist the temptation to say that makes a change from their usual largesse on the pitch. Oops I’ve said it now.


Talking of Laurent he was on BBC Lincolnshire this morning talking of his intent to stay in the team having got a foot in the door and with Jamie Taylor also returning to fitness there could be a whole new look to the strike force that has had such a stuttering first half of the season, Kyle Perry coming in for particular criticism from a section of the fans.

Taylor told the assembled press:-

"I have had a really frustrating season so far and it was certainly something I had not envisaged when I arrived here in the summer,"

"In fact prior to coming to Lincoln, I don't think I missed a game in two years and I had always been fortunate in terms of avoiding injuries.

"But as soon as I came here we had a friendly against Boston and I picked up a back injury which was hugely frustrating because you want to make an instant impression.

"Although I managed to sneak onto the bench for the game against Southport, I then picked up a knee injury after the game against Kettering.

"So when you take that all into account, it's not been the start I was hoping for, so you can imagine how nice it was for me to score two goals last week.

"I was not expecting to start, but the fact the gaffer put me in and I scored as well has given me plenty of confidence.

Taylor and Laurent played up front in the FA Trophy victory and the Echo is reporting the pair are expected to start against Forest Green Rovers who are expected to offer a sterner test than Colwyn Bay. Listening to BBC Lincolnshire last night it looks as if one position that has been puzzling the fans, goalkeeper, will sort itself out as Joe Anyon, who played against Bay is injured. Supporters have been wondering why it took until the Trophy clash before Anyon returned to the team. Had Anyon been fit we would have known a bit more of what Holdsworth thought of the pecking order in the stopper position. He sounded none too pleased at the situation to be honest so whether he doubts Anyons affliction is something we are just going to have to wonder about because the manager is not going to go public on that one. Paul Farman was cup tied so it wasn’t a question of Anyon forcing his way back in.

Laurent himself was a doubt as he had to have stitches as a result of a clash with Bay’s Lee McEvilly but he’s obviously made of sterner stuff having got into the side and won’t want to surrender his place.

Otherwise it’s as you were unless of course the weather intervenes. We could do with an away win in the league.

No comments:

Post a Comment