Andrew Abbott's Blog

Friday 28 August 2015

Added spice to the derby this season.




Once again Grimsby fans have shown their appetite for the derby fixture and with a bit of enthusiasm, not always in evidence from City fans for this game, the gate could top the 6000 mark bringing a rare smile to Mr Dorrian’s countenance.

There is an extra element to the clash this year in the form of Messrs Liam Hearne and Bradley Wood and they have both let it be known that not only do they relish the challenge but are keen to put one over on their old employers.
Bradley Wood hit the nail on the head when he told the Echo:-

“There are no friends in football,"
"I've played in derby games and my partner's dad is a big Grimsby fan, but I've got a job to do and that is for Lincoln.
"I will be going for three points and that is all there is to it.
"At the end of the day, Grimsby Town fans are not going to pay my mortgage."
"I live up that way and what with my partner's family being fans, I know what the expectation is like this time round.
"There is a lot of belief that after missing out in the play-off final that it could be their season this time. Football is never that simple , though."

Hearn meanwhile is pragmatic about the game and the reception he may receive from Mariners fans:

It will be interesting to see what reception I get,"
"I hope they give me a good one, I always got on well with the supporters.
"Hopefully they should also know better than to hammer me because I thrive off that.
"They should welcome me, but I know football and I know how fickle fans can be. I've got a job to do and I can get on with it on Saturday.”

Time will tell whether our new hero will make the match but as for as the pair are concerned it’s business as usual, irrespective of the opposition. A double last season and City’s generally good start, last Saturday excepting have put a spring in Imps’ step. Hopefully the reverse at Forest Green Rovers will see City in a mood to erase that memory with a good home display and three lovely points.




No comments:

Post a Comment