Andrew Abbott's Blog

Friday 12 August 2016

Home banker? Or after the Lord Mayors show?





It’s back to Sincil Bank for the faithful, still pinching ourselves after Tuesday’s extravaganza. Can City topple Sutton or will a familiar scenario unfold? Not long to wait to find out.

Now that the dust has settled, and having seen the team, not that I expect it to stay the same all the time, I will say that I do really like the look of this seasons players. After Tuesday it would be a curmudgeonly fan who would say otherwise. I don’t think Danny Cowley is going to be a manager for keeping the same side out all the time. He mixed it up a bit for Tuesday and it wouldn’t surprise me if he kept us and the players and the opposition more importantly, guessing.

I’ll just highlight two players, chiefly for the benefit of those not there last time out. I’ll assume if you can come tomorrow you will do. Let’s hope Tuesday wasn’t a flash in the pan against a particularly poor side. They did get promoted after all so maybe we made them look bad.

The first player that impressed me and the sponsors too as he was awarded man of the match is Alex Woodyard. How on earth did we sign this player and what was he doing at Braintree? I see he's been about a bit, maybe he's a late developer. Any more performances like Tuesday and we’re going to be filling the stands with scouts from league clubs. They say that the mark of a good player is that he seems to have all the time in the world. He’s a good player then.

The second player, I’m very pleased to say, was renaissance man Matt Rhead. I’ll be honest, when he went on the transfer list I wasn’t particularly bothered. He’d had a great first half of the season then tailed off something rotten. Now of course we know the reason why and I’m so so glad we have his services for the foreseeable. To say he was outstanding on Tuesday is doing his performance an injustice.

I’m not one for wishing my life away but how I wish it was the end of the season or do I? Maybe this is the season that puts a spring in all our steps and from these very early days that does seem a possibility. Who would want to miss out on that?

No comments:

Post a Comment