Andrew Abbott's Blog

Tuesday 10 April 2018

What a day, but it’s not the end of the journey.




I delayed writing anything about Wembley and I don’t know why to be honest. I approached the day full of excitement, in fact it started the day before as we went down the club to wave the team off. I did actually wave, much to my wife’s amusement, it just seemed the right thing to do.

On to the day and we travelled by the Hogwarts Express as I seem to habitually describe it, not that I have any idea what it looks like, otherwise known as the Lincoln Loco, the special train laid on from Lincoln Central to Wembley Central. It's handy, certainly on the way down but the length of time taken to get back is a bit wearing. I don’t think I’m alone in thinking there could be other opportunities to organise another trip to Wembley so may do differently if that’s the case.

The day itself was everything I hoped it to be except that, because of the weather and because we didn’t get there with too much time to spare we didn’t have a good look round the stadium or have a drink although we made up for that after the match.

You don’t need to have a description of the game itself from me I’m sure but I had a message from my friend the Boston United supporter even before we got home to advise me that Matt Rhead should have been sent off. This was not received by me in the spirit it was intended and neither were further comments from the south of the county that there was a handball which should have resulted in a penalty and an incident involving Matt Green that could have been punished. My comment that someone seems a little jealous of our day in the sun seemed to calm things down.

My view of those incidents having watched the game again is that Rhead was perhaps a little overzealous in his “welcome to Wembley” introduction to the keeper but, whilst I’ve seen red cards given for similar occurrences I didn’t think there was sufficient intent to merit one. Having said that if it were our keeper I might think differently. As to the Matt Green incident I think any fan and any manager would expect him to go for a loose ball so I’m discounting that. Shrewsbury however would feel most dismayed at not getting a penalty for a handball, Waterfall was it? It wasn’t spotted by the officials and certainly not by their supporters as it was our end. All I can say is phew!

It’s funny how your perception from being at the game changes when you see it again having recorded it. I thought the referee sided with Shrewsbury, now I don’t. I also thought City did not impose their game on their opponents, now I do.

All in all I don’t think there was any difference between Shrewsbury, almost certain to reach the championship and City who look a decent bet for the play offs or even automatic if you’re feeling particularly chipper, apart from the fact that City took one of their chances and Shrews did not. For that I’m eternally grateful and will forever hold Elliott Whitehouse in my esteem.

As to Shrewsbury Town I wish them the best of luck and hope they do indeed attain promotion to the championship. For ourselves I’m getting increasingly optimistic, if we can keep the Gods onside, that I may yet see Lincoln City back at that level too. I don’t think I’m dreaming this.

No comments:

Post a Comment