Andrew Abbott's Blog

Thursday 4 October 2018

Support needed. Have you got that?




I’m not easily shocked but after all we’ve been through together these last couple of years the last thing I expected to hear on the radio was manager Danny Cowley having to appeal to an admittedly very small section of Lincoln City fans to get behind the players, all of them and cut out the petty sniping that has crept in particularly where John Akinde is concerned.

I’ve been away so haven’t seen for myself the last few games but I would say if there has been any drop off in standards sounding off against a player or players isn’t going to help. We’ve built up a reputation as supporters for getting behind our team through thick and thin and I think we’d all agree it’s been rather more thick than thin. It’s not as if City are on the slide. When I last looked the Imps were still top of the table. When a team go on the sort of run ours has been on I suppose one loss does seem something of a blip but that’s all it is. Let’s get on with what we do best, support and lets keep it how it has been of late, unconditional.

Having said all that I do have to say I sit in the Selenity Stand, formerly not exactly the most fervent of areas in Sincil Bank where patrons used to have no qualms about sounding off when things weren’t to their liking but all I hear now is encouragement and that’s how I hope it will continue.

If I know Danny Cowley and if I know our team I’d say someone or some team is going to pay for the Imps’ discomfiture against Tranmere. Who better than Crewe who gave us such a hard time at the Bank last season?

John Beck used to say no matter how good a team were or how well they did at some stage they are going to have to overcome a setback and its how they bounce back from it. One loss away at a difficult venue hardly counts as a bad patch and I fully expect City to recover their momentum on Saturday. As Cowley says we owe Crewe one and there’s no bad time to improve the goal difference.

Let’s occupy ourselves with achieving that and leave the negative stuff to other lesser clubs. We've got a reputation to live up to. Up the Imps!

No comments:

Post a Comment