Andrew Abbott's Blog

Sunday 3 February 2019

A tale of two penalties.




I was born in Newark. All my family from that side are Forest fans. I was transported to civilization at an early age. I’m Lincoln through and through although not a true yellowbelly I might as well be. As a Lincoln City fan I long for the day that we show Notts County what were about. That it takes more than coming from a big city to punch your weight in the football league.

Everything about Meadow Lane says big time, apart from the team of course. Yet that team is not the one that got them into the pickle they find themselves in. A change of management and recent additions have made a difference. County are looked down upon by Nottingham Forest and they in turn like to look down on the likes of Lincoln City, like that two Ronnies sketch (ask your Dad) but this year is different. They are the poor relations and it is City that are in the ascendancy. Unfortunately no one told the referee whose attitude was cor, look at all those seats. This is a big club. I must make sure that I mind my P’s and Q’s except of course he did give City a penalty.

Ah yes, the penalty. I’m not going to accuse John Akinde of letting the side down, he’s got plenty of accusers, I can’t for the life of me think why. He’s a better penalty taker than Freck and an awful lot better than Matt Rhead but no one criticises Matt. I’m not going to make matters any worse for him. I don’t think the vocal minority count for anything but when I hear the manager state that Akinde will come in for some flack I can see the eventual end of the road for this wonderful relationship the vast majority of us have with the management.

City weren’t at their best, there’s no point in denying that but Akinde wasn’t the worst offender. I love Shay McCartan to bits but ineffective is not the word for his performance and it was really no surprise he didn’t reappear after the break. City were in one of those couldn’t get going moods and whilst they looked a lot better than Magpies, pound for pound that winner just wouldn’t come even when a golden opportunity arose.

Yet, it’s another point on the road. The Imps are still top with a game in hand. That game must be won and then, for me, the title clincher, Mansfield away is to come. Win that, or draw and Stags are the ones stopped in their tracks. Lose it of course and we’ll be looking at a top three place.

That wouldn’t be the end of the world but don’t write City off yet. Mansfield away? Right up their street if you ask me.

No comments:

Post a Comment