Andrew Abbott's Blog

Friday 8 February 2019

I’m all for freedom of speech but………….





I used to enjoy the old message boards, I posted on the redimps one, I was the self styled “impossible dream”. Nowadays we’re dreaming no longer but any more weeks like last week and it’ll all be a distant memory.

I don’t go on Banter, never have but my son occasionally passes on some gems he’s read on there and I have to say I’m glad I’m out of that particular loop.

Last Saturday was disappointing, there’s no point in denying that although again, there’s nothing wrong with drawing away as long as the home form is good, which it is. Have Notts County turned a corner? Maybe they have at least stopped the rot but they’ve left themselves an awful lot to do. Have Magpies fatally damaged City’s promotion hopes? No of course not. Was John Akindes penalty miss something to be ashamed of? Hardly. We can’t say that many of his goals come from penalties then gripe about one slip up. Akinde is the best penalty taker I’ve seen bar none but I tell you what, if he doesn’t step up to take the next one, after the reaction to the miss, we can all hang our heads in shame.

Up until now I’ve been firmly of the opinion that the Cowleys tenure at Lincoln will go on until the brothers feel they can do no more. After this last week I’m not so sure of that. The Cowleys are still here because they believe what they have at Lincoln is something that even the best and most successful managers don’t have. Unequivocal and unquestioning support from the fans. I’ll add another un, unconditional. They look at, say the performance against Crewe last season which was awful as I’m sure we all agree but the managers and players were given the benefit of the doubt by the supporters and we all moved on. We can’t say anyone was given that forbearance last Saturday. City weren’t that bad and didn’t lose the match. We’ve got where we are by being great fans home and away. For goodness sake let’s not lose sight of that.

Every cloud has a silver lining though and for every brickbat there were ten messages of support. I hope it’s those fans the players and manager are hearing rather than the nonsense.

Northampton at home tomorrow. Let’s get back to business. Up the Imps.

No comments:

Post a Comment