Andrew Abbott's Blog

Friday 1 February 2019

Cowleys covering every Angol.





That got everyone talking didn’t it? When my wife told me I said that’ll be popular-not. To be honest I’d not even realised Angol had gone to Shrewsbury but it’s league one Shrewsbury lets not forget so someone saw something in him.

Looking back we all saw something in him and most of us expected Angol to become an Imp permanently. He was spirited away on a doubled salary apparently and no doubt promises of the moon from you know who. When you think of the average length of a football career and the fact he didn’t look likely to become a top player can we really blame him for taking the dosh?

This certainly tells me something about the Cowleys and the art of building a successful team. They don’t hold grudges and they will pursue their man. I takes more than money to make a winning team. If that’s all it involves Mansfield Town and our opponents tomorrow, Notts County would be where City are now and the Imps would be where the Stags are. As for Magpies I really don’t know. We’ll see tomorrow if they have any fight in them. My guess is they will and my hope is it won’t be enough.

I’ve supported the Imps for a long long time. The best teams I’ve seen are Graham Taylors all conquering champions and Colin Murphy’s side that were oh so close to the championship (as it’s called now). This present team, this squad certainly are up there with them. Both those sides failed to achieve what they should have due to lack of support at boardroom level. That’s not the case now so when you leave aside the Angol controversy and look at the quality of what we have and the potential of the recruits for me that gives the present set up the edge.

Just once again looking at Mansfield and Notts it just goes to show money is just a component in the general scheme of things. Personally I wouldn’t be surprised if Mansfield didn’t sign Angol so City couldn’t. Either way it didn’t work out for them or the player but the Cowleys aren’t about making gestures and proving points. Softly softly is the mantra and the end result is all that matters.

What will the end result be? I don’t know but as we all prepare to travel to Nottingham it is the Imps who go as the top club in the East Midlands in league two despite the spending and the history and the grandeur of Meadow Lane. How does that make you feel? Me too.

No comments:

Post a Comment