Andrew Abbott's Blog

Monday 9 September 2019

Thank you and goodbye.




This is the last thing I expected to be writing about but this afternoon after a day of fevered speculation Danny and Nicky Cowley were announced as manager and assistant of Huddersfield Town. The eagle eyed among you may have spotted an article from me first thing on this blog along the lines of, I’m getting bored of this now, can we talk about something else? By ten o’clock I’d deleted it and the reason for that was a tweet from someone from the Daily Mirror saying the announcement would be made later. Then all hell broke loose.

I should say firstly thank you to Danny and Nicky, thank you for the good times, for the promotion to the football league, thank you for the FA Cup, thank you for the Wembley Trophy Final win, thank you for the championship, another championship, to win league two. Thank you for getting us back to where we were in Colin Murphy’s day.

Does that sound a bit odd? It’s meant to because tonight I’m afraid my principal emotion is anger. I’m angry that the Cowleys said they would never desert us mid season. I’m angry with myself that I believed them, that I believed they were not like anyone else in football. I’d hoped, as you probably did, that they would lead us to the championship and then take their leave. I even entertained thoughts that they might do an Eddie Howe, ridiculous as that may seem. They said they were ambitious, I understood that.

Off they’ve gone then, to Sheffield Wednesday, to Derby, to Forest, to West Brom? No. Huddersfield Town. Huddersfield Town who you may remember broke our hearts when they knocked us out of the league two playoffs, that Huddersfield Town. At the risk of sounding like Braintree’s chairman when the Cowleys joined us, is that the best they can do?

Quite why this has happened after the reassuring move of the families to Lincolnshire, the hope of our first season in League One in ages, the announcement of the competitive budget from the board one can only speculate. Danny constantly refered to the budget, to the small squad, but wasn’t that his preference? After all, Danny always hinted about the budget, they all do.

Its pointless speculating. I personally believe after that blistering start, if it had continued, Huddersfield would have been rebuffed, until the next time of course. Don’t worry about things you can’t change I’m always saying. To be honest by the late afternoon I found myself thinking, I hope this all goes ahead, I can’t be doing with this.

Thanks to the Cowleys of course, we now find ourselves a highly saleable proposition, solvent, with a good fanbase, a state of the art training facility and a list of favourites for the vacancy that makes encouraging reading. With the compensation due, City are well placed to hit the ground running when it comes to recruitment. The worry is that all the goodwill so carefully nurtured could be lost if the right appointment is not made.

Personally I would like to see Gareth Ainsworth come to Sincil Bank, a man, the only man who can engender the same affection that Danny and Nicky Cowley were afforded, other managers available.

Up the Imps

No comments:

Post a Comment