Andrew Abbott's Blog

Tuesday 10 September 2019

Bright new dawn.





Well, I woke up this morning; it’s a beautiful late summer day. The garden that I did a bit of preparatory work for winter on yesterday is looking lovely, my wife is as good looking as ever and as far as I know my pension will be paid later this week as expected. I’ve survived the Cowley departure.

I had a look at twitter and there was Liam Scully, businesslike as ever detailing the quest for a new manager. As you might expect it was calm, thoughtful, realistic. Business as usual.

I’ve written many times about clubs that we used to share the basement with, Rotherham, Doncaster, Barnsley, how they raised their profile and now prosper in a higher division. Bigger clubs, more prestigious, sustainable. I look at our clubs prospects, our people, the infrastructure, the business expertise, our supporters. In the words of the Fast Show I think it was, that’s us that is.

I struggled to get off to sleep last night. In one of those expressions I would have liked to have thought of myself, one of my fellow supporters said they were suffering from impsomnia. I don’t think that will be a problem tonight.

As we move on we have to assign matters to our in house experts. But as we start the search for someone to take our quest further we do so safe in the knowledge that there will be a wide choice for the boards consideration. The club is on a sound financial footing, not wealthy but not poor either, the stadium is in good order, the training facilities are the envy of many, the playing roster has us at the top end of the table, on merit and the board are acknowledged experts in the field of football administration.

As I consider all that, I think back that we attracted the Cowleys when we were an impoverished shadow of where we are now, what sort of prospect can we offer an ambitious manager keen to further their own career and our profile?

So this morning, despite the lack of sleep, I feel refreshed and reinvigorated. I hope you do too.

No comments:

Post a Comment