Andrew Abbott's Blog

Sunday 21 February 2021

City avenge an insult you have never heard of.

When I sit down at this keyboard to write about a Lincoln City game my intention is to write an account of that game as it happened, honest. Thereafter it’s in the lap of the Gods. I ramble on for a bit and I think, I don’t know what all that’s about but its taken an hour to write so I’ll publish it.

Perhaps Picasso used to sit down expecting to paint a picture of a lovely girl but what emerged on the canvas looked like something dredged from the Marianna Trench, with two heads, one of which protrudes from the lady’s bottom. Anyway, as usual, I digress. Wigan Athletic v Lincoln City.

Long ago in a land faraway (Lincolnshire) Lincoln City were trying to revisit the glory of the Graham Taylor years and had taken on as manager Sam Ellis, a much loved centre half known principally for his penalties. The resultant kick was either avoided by the goalkeeper much in the way you and I might avoid a train as it sped past a level crossing or possibly the ball, goalkeeper still attached, ended up in the back of the net with the keeper wondering if he had attempted to save it or the ball had simply passed straight through him.

Sam had some little success in his earlier managerial career but, sadly, as is usually the case when a manger finds himself at Lincoln, success was conspicuous by its absence and Sam was duly sacked. This was a great shame as Sam really was loved by the fans, think Gareth Ainsworth, and his reputation was well and truly destroyed by the episode.

City had playing for them at the time another revered defender, one Colin Greenall, we may even have voted him player of the season but, upon Ellis’ sacking Greenall announced he had no intention of playing for Lincoln City, he had been playing for Sam Ellis and he wanted a transfer. He was duly dispatched to an outfit which had only just emerged on our radar, Wigan Athletic. I think it was Greenall who subsequently lined up for the Latics at Sincil Bank to quite the worst reception I have ever heard for a returning former favourite.

To say I was stunned that Greenall had left Lincoln to go to a minnow such as Wigan Athletic was something of an understatement. Mind you, I was similarly stung when Graham Taylor left for another small time outfit, Watford. I wonder what happened to them?

I suppose my love affair with Lincoln City can be summed up in the words of Supertramp. “Take a look at my girlfriend, she’s the only one I’ve got. Not much of a girlfriend, I never seem to get a lot.”

Those of you with longer memories may recall not all that long after Greenall accepted Wigan Athletics shilling, twelve pieces of silver might be more accurate, they were taken over by Dave Whelan late of JJB Sports who basically built the magnificent (apart from the pitch) edifice they play in today and bought them a place in the top division. You may gather, I do not approve of such dealings and sure as eggs is eggs, once the money disappeared so did their place at the top table. They are on a downward trajectory which will not stop at league one, provided they don’t go bust.

All of which brings me, you may be surprised to, learn to yesterdays game for which I had invested £10 for the luxury of moving pictures to go along with my BBC Radio Lincolnshire commentary. I opted for the radio, placed in front of the TV rather than the home punditry provided by ifollow but unfortunately the commentary was about a second before ifollow and I found myself groaning, once when Wigan scored and again when I saw the pictures. Similarly I cheered at the goals and again when I saw them.

My friend said he was watching the home offering in it’s entirety and it was ok so I switched off the radio and listened to the delusional conjecture of yet another pair of supporters who thought their team should be in the championship at least and, once again, following the lead of Sunderland, Ipswich, Portsmouth, Charlton and Hull believed the fact they had to play the likes of Lincoln City was, well somewhat beneath them. They did say we looked dangerous though and when we scored, twice they had it confirmed.

So there’s your match report. City dragged themselves over the finish line. The feared drop out of the promotion places did not materialise but it was a tired looking group that trooped off the pitch. It’s the same for everyone though and with a young squad, you’d hope their prospects for recovery might be speedier than some.

I wish our team good rest and thorough recuperation. They’re going to need it.


No comments:

Post a Comment