Andrew Abbott's Blog

Sunday 27 February 2022

Another home defeat. Cheers!

 

I seem to be at that stage of life where quite a lot of things in my day annoy me. My family and friends will probably advise you they had realised this rather sooner than I have.

The lady I sit next to said something yesterday that certainly reflected how I feel at the football. She said she was fed up of queueing to get out of the stadium being regaled with the delighted cheers of the away fans who, in many cases after months of struggle following their team, came to Lincoln to be gifted three lovely points that their team barely had to work for, there you are, you don’t deserve it, but there’s the points, have them on us.

Once again, a very modest team, one that had sacked their manager, the likeable football genius, according to him, Steve Evans, had left a club teetering on the brink of relegation but, help was at hand in the form of a benevolent Lincoln City who gave them a bit of relief from their troubles and their fans, starved of success, getting some air in their lungs singing some songs they thought they wouldn’t be singing again this season. Happy to help. Safe journey.

I’m starting to get in my stride now. We seem to employ a man whose sole responsibility is to chat to the fourth official. In my seat I have an unrivalled view of this. Here he comes, he’s sent back to the dugout. Undaunted, two minutes later he’s back again. I know other teams do this, not as much admittedly but they do. Usually, but not yesterday he wears an Imps bobble hat. Again, nothing wrong with that but he looks like a fan and I think, I could do that, for free. Chatting to the spare referee, how difficult would that be?

You’ll notice I’m doing anything but talk about the football. One more annoying thing though. Alan Long, announcer, we love you but for goodness sake, welcome the away fans by all means but please don’t encourage them to start cheering, it’s us home fans you’re supposed to be geeing up. Oh, and we know you’ve done your research but the away fans don’t need to know how far they’ve travelled, they’ve done it and we’re not bothered. Rant nearly over.

Yesterday was a new experience for us. I’m not going to jump on the Appleton out bandwagon, it’s getting a bit crowded anyway but often I can see how difficult it is to break down a team whose sole aim is not to be beaten. Time after time teams have come to Lincoln after getting a pasting elsewhere and City have looked pretty good, to be fair. Take Doncaster. Incidentally, they were very loud, well done you. Anyway, they looked as if they wouldn’t score if they’d played till Christmas then they were gifted a penalty and, as we know, you score, we lose. Wycombe was a bit different, although pegged back when we could have won it was a good performance but again, one point when it could have been three and here we are, no points and definitely not a good performance.

Michael Appleton, manager, BBC Radio Lincolnshire, what happened there? What do you want me to say? He really did say that, what do you want me to say? We really don’t help ourselves sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment