Andrew Abbott's Blog

Friday 16 January 2015

City’s statement of intent.




Last week I ventured the notion that our beloved Imps might be guilty of going native in the Conference and indicating to us that they may be quite content with that league level. John Pakey of the Lincolnshire Echo set me straight on that score and assured me that was not the case.
I’ve no reason to dismiss Pakeys views, he knows a lot more of the behind the scenes goings on at Sincil Bank than I’ll ever do. This week brings news that several players will be offered contracts and those contracts will govern what will happen in the event that the team are promoted, and what will happen if they are not.

This is of course not the actions of a club content to stand still. I’m very glad to hear that. With other clubs starting to sit up and take notice of Messrs Newton and Miller in particular the fans will hope that the club will make strenuous efforts to keep their best players and what better way to let them know that you’re a club going places than a contract that envisages life at a higher level?
Miller is not on his own in appreciating what our city has to offer:-

“I do enjoy life in Lincolnshire, “I’m settled down in my personal life more now as well, which is another factor I have to take into account when it comes to my future.
“If it was just me then financially I would be alright, but now I have my partner to think about.
“It’s a difficult situation because I love the club a lot. I also feel we are going in the right direction to achieve something and that’s something I would love to be part of as I have been here a few seasons now.
“I love being here, I love the place and I love the fans. I’ve got to know fans and players on a personal level having been here a number of years now. It’s a good environment, and they are all top lads, it is something that if you ever left, it would be hard to walk away from. It is another part of why a decision can be so difficult”

This weekend we will see what our heroes are made of as they seek to recover from a difficult week but one that will ensure that their feet are planted firmly in the ground. However, it’s only one defeat on the road and the friendly loss midweek can surely be discounted. Chris Moyses remains upbeat:-

Getting them going again is not going to be too much of a problem,” said the Gaffer. “They realise how the game has panned out and they are no mugs.
“They realise with 11 men (against Eastleigh) we would have been in with a chance.
“We’ll have a chat. We’ll dust ourselves down and do the week’s work we’ve got planned. Then it’s back to business.
“What’s the point of changing anything? We have done okay with how we work and we want to keep going that way.”

Home form has been exceptional since Moyses took over and let’s hope there will be a large and enthusiastic crowd at Sincil Bank to urge them on. They deserve that surely?



No comments:

Post a Comment