Andrew Abbott's Blog

Sunday 1 November 2015

Farman miracle save turns out to be the high point.





For much of Lincoln City’s match at Sincil Bank against Bromley I assumed I was going to be commenting on another routine home win. City set about their opponents with gusto and, despite Steve Thompsons comments on BBC Radio Lincolnshire I thought if it had been a boxing match by half time a sympathetic referee would have put an end to Bromley’s misery. Thompson thought City always were second best but I disagree.

It’s tempting to say Bromley had done their homework but in reality every manager knows what City are about now. Stop Rhead feeding Hearn and you probably stop City scoring, but can you do so? The answer in Bromley’s case was yes and Rhead looked a frustrated figure as he was frequently marshalled out of influencing the match. Add to the mix the fact that Bromley possess the leagues top scorer at the moment and the result was City lost their proud and impressive home record. Bromley emerged from half time rejuvenated and were a completely different proposition. A sympathetic home crowd could only register their appreciation of the effort that had gone into trying to preserve it. Gone are the days when a home defeat was met with groans and even booes, for the moment at least, City trooped off to, not exactly an ovation but some applause and certainly an understanding reception. Not every team have the personnel to conjure or muscle their way past City though and I fully expect them to bounce back and resume their impressive home performances henceforth.

To cheer ourselves up I want to finish off by drawing your attention to a man who I believe may make City a good bit of money and certainly earn for himself a move on to higher things. If you regularly attend at Sincil Bank you will not need telling. Over the many years I’ve been following City one position has stood out for producing players of exceptional quality and that position is goalkeeper. From way back, John Kennedy used to excite me, he was also my English teacher as it happens, Peter Grotier, Dave Felgate and Alan Marriott to name but a few and we must now add another name to that illustrious list, Paul Farman.

Who would have thought when Farman was sent out on loan to Boston United with his tail between his legs that he would blossom into the figure that so impresses us now. He yesterday produced a save of such agility and foresight that I’ve don’t think I’ve seen the like of before and I don’t believe I’ll see again. To quote another wonderful keeper, Gordon Banks, generally believed to have pulled off the greatest save ever, playing for England against Brazil, that save was up there with it. The only thing that places it second to that magical Banks moment was the fact that there was an element of being in the right place at the right time. Other than that in terms of speed of thought and ability to execute the save it was a once in a lifetime experience and I was glad I was there to see it.

Happier now? Me too.

No comments:

Post a Comment