Andrew Abbott's Blog

Monday 11 January 2016

Imps promotion bid. End of.




I sat watching and, yes cheering Scunthorpe United at Chelsea yesterday, less recently I suffered through Grimsby Towns long run in the Championship. The Iron themselves made the second level in the not too distant past. I don’t pay much attention to what is happening at other clubs but I did sit up and take notice when the commentator at the Chelsea game stated that the Irons manager still had hopes of making the League One play offs.

For years Scunny had been the bridesmaids of Lincolnshire football and there they are stratospherically higher than ourselves or the Mariners in league position. Town themselves having seen off the possibility of losing their manager are once again looking like they might escape the pit that is the National League.

It did seem at one time that Peter Swann who bankrolled Gainsborough Trinity to play off success, having tired of the Blues might transfer his affections to Lincoln City but instead ended up at Glanford Park. If the rumours surrounding the possible move to Lincoln were true were Scunny really a better proposition than City? Did something happen at boardroom level to stop the move?

You’ve probably gathered I’m a bit morose after City’s latest setback, back to back home losses and I can’t really buy into Chris Moyses assertion that the playoffs are not beyond our reach. In football, direction of travel is paramount and City are going nowhere at the moment. In fact the way things are at this time the Imps are on 42 points so even after that good run early in the season disaster could await although I hope my disappointment at the way the season has panned out is clouding my judgement.

Our own new investor still seems to be a spectator and in any event there’s not a lot of sense in putting vast sums (if only) in to rescue a season that may well be beyond us. The mighty Forest Green Rovers await at Sincil Bank on Saturday. I’m thoroughly sick of having to regard outfits such as Dover and Forest Green Rovers as superior to City.

Did I wish you a Happy New Year by the way?

No comments:

Post a Comment