Andrew Abbott's Blog

Friday 5 February 2016

Let’s hope City’s mini revival is not just a wing and prayer.





Not so long ago I’d have been tempted to give the home game tomorrow a miss and see if the good lady fancied a day out somewhere but after last week she’ll have to indulge in a little retail therapy by herself. She’d probably tell you this is not necessarily such a bad thing so it’s probably a win win situation.

The thing we all want to know is will the upturn in form continue or will it be back to a lose lose scenario. As always time will tell.

The return of Jamie McCombe certainly got Impish juices flowing and if he was listening to Friday Football on BBC Radio Lincolnshire last Friday evening he would have known he’d made the right decision coming back to Sincil Bank and be assured of a good reception which of course he received. The doom and gloom was at least temporarily suspended as fans took to their phones to text of their delight. The question was is he still mobile enough and he showed us on Saturday he was.

What got me out of my seat, apart from Chris Bushes goal was the scintillating performance of the other new boy James Caton. I’ve watched Lincoln City enough to not expect the display he gave against Guiseley every week and his chequered history of more or less constantly being out on loan gives cause for concern. Having said that, for all the criticism Chris Moyses receives I think most people will concede he knows a player when he sees one and personally I think if anyone can get the best out of a recruit it’s Moyses so I’m optimistic we may have got a find there. Caton and McCombe weren’t the only signing before the deadline so another reason not to miss the game tomorrow. Who knows we may now play with two wingers and if they can get going we could be in for a treat.

Caton was realistic about his debut but determined to make the most of his opportunity, he told the Echo:-

"I'm just grateful that the gaffer has given me this opportunity. I really enjoyed Saturday and I hope I can continue that each time I play. I have always believed in myself so I am hoping this is finally the opportunity I need to get going again.

"It is always nice on your debut to get off to a good start and I hope I can continue that. But I am not going to rest on my laurels. Yes, it was a good game, but that's at the back of my mind now and I am focussed on trying to do it again next week”

No comments:

Post a Comment