Andrew Abbott's Blog

Wednesday 8 March 2017

Welcome to Lincoln City. Have a hat trick.




City got back to winning ways last night with an emphatic win away at the managements former stamping ground, Braintree. One or two fans were getting the jitters after two draws but not your correspondent, I’m of the it’s a marathon not a sprint persuasion.

Sprint though is what the Imps did taking a bit of time to get going but once they did it never looked in any doubt and there then came a moment that encapsulated what this group of players are all about, the philosophy instilled by the management and the togetherness and willingness to do what it takes to win.

Matt Rhead was bundled over in the box and a penalty was awarded. Now I did wonder what would happen at this point. Alan Power was rested, Rhead has taken penalties. I’m a massive Rhead fan but penalty taking is not one of his most admirable qualities. I thought he’d take it though. To be fair if he had it would have been because he genuinely believed he was the best man for the job, you may not believe that, I may not believe that. Rhead didn’t however, he handed the ball to new boy Lee Angol who had scored two goals and was therefore on a hat trick. There you are, now’s your chance for a hat-trick. Angol obliged therefore becoming the first City player to score a hat trick on his debut since Billy Cobb more years ago than I can remember.

If I had been Danny Cowley at that point I would be bursting with pride. Rhead was saying I don’t care about personal glory, I don’t care about who finishes top of the scoring charts I care about Lincoln City and I care for all the players in my team.

I read various stories about Lee Angol. I do know he is a quality player badly injured at Boston pre season. I know he’s struggled at Peterborough of late, I know opinion is divided at Posh as to whether he ought to be out on loan. Their chairman was tweeting last night he felt the player is at the best place he could be at this point in his career. I think they will get back a fully rejuvenated and confident player.
I hope Angol is a happy man this morning. I hope Matt Rhead is a happy man this morning. I think the managers wake happy men every morning and we fans also.

The same cannot be said of Arsenal. We await further developments.

No comments:

Post a Comment