Andrew Abbott's Blog

Wednesday 12 April 2017

Good times never seemed so good.




“And as I sat there brooding on the old, unknown world, I thought of Gatsby's wonder when he first picked out the green light at the end of Daisy's dock. He had come a long way to this blue lawn, and his dream must have seemed so close that he could hardly fail to grasp it.” F. Scott Fitzgerald

At the end of last nights game at Sincil Bank I thought of those words from Fitzgerald’s splendid American novel “The Great Gatsby”. City had ground to a laborious win and Tranmere had, catastrophically, lost to Forest Green Rovers. I know we are encouraged to not dwell on our rivals, or should it be rival now? I had been wondering if that fantastic win by them might not be as wonderful as it seemed. Indeed I think it’s worth repeating what I said last time in the blog “I’m kind of hoping that rout of Solihull by Tranmere might have blown the Merseysiders storm out but I’m not holding my breath.” Forest Green Rovers duly obliged and Tranmere have another tough game against Aldershot but, thanks to last night a clear path for City has emerged.

The Imps are going to have to perform a lot better than they did if they are to succeed. Passing, or rather accurate passing was very much at a premium, there was indiscipline leading to Alan Powers dismissal almost as soon as he came on. You do wonder if that rash challenge spelt the end of his City career. Hustle and bustle went in place of calm industry it was a poor game and yet an amazing spectacle.

The City management are fulsome in their praise of the home fans but last night I really do believe was the supporters finest hour as they pulled the team through the game. The crowd are almost on auto pilot and you get the impression, worked up as we all are the noise levels would be the same even without a game going on. I don’t believe Sincil Bank is that intimidating a place, there are too many wide open spaces but the non stop barrage of noise makes up for that. I’ve been in big crowds at the Bank, much bigger than last night but the atmosphere never reached that level on a sustained basis.

On we go to the crucial Easter weekend where, if they play their cards right and things go their way City could themselves almost grasp the prize. Poor old Gatsby ended up floating face down in his swimming pool. After last night I honestly don’t think that fate awaits Lincoln City.

No comments:

Post a Comment