Andrew Abbott's Blog

Sunday 31 December 2017

The good the bad and the ugly.





So, City take another six points off Forest Green Rovers, thanks very much, end of. Well not really, the truth of the matter is that FGR looked decent and in Christian Doidge have a really formidable striker who once again found the net and would have done so again were it not for a wonder save from Josh Vickers to preserve City’s lead. A further strike was disallowed but the whistle could clearly be heard before the ball went in the net. Cue complaints from FGR that the referee was biased in favour of Lincoln which was anything but true. He annoyed both teams in, I thought, an even handed refereeing performance that I’d have no complaint about, particularly after some I’ve witnessed this season.

I’m reminded of our days of rivalry with Boston United. I once observed to my very good friend, the Pilgrims fan that it seemed to me he’d be quite content to get relegated with a record low number of points as long as they beat City home and away. He sort of agreed. I do wonder if yesterday we saw a Forest Green side revved up because they were facing Lincoln City as they didn’t look a relegation haunted side to me although Mark Cooper, their manager, did have a rather faraway look as he detailed the many new recruits on their way to shore up their survival quest. I’m not going to get carried away with the insult throwing that seems to accompany our games against FGR but if the reality is a hefty recruitment drive rather than a replacement at the top then Cooper is a lucky man indeed. I think if I were their chairman I’d be questioning if quite so much tippy tappy football is the answer to a season at the coalface that can often be league two. So on reflection, six points FGR, thanks very much.

As to City we must not get carried away but defeats for Luton and Notts County underline the liquidity of the position at the top of the table. A few weeks ago we were talking of satisfaction that City were surviving in league two, then it was the play off positions, then top three. Could we, dare we think of the? No I’m not going to say it but I’m thinking it particularly after I had a look through my copy of The Impossible Dream yesterday. (Thanks Santa).

Finally I have to mention Sean Raggett. Shouts of you’ll never beat Sean Raggett were ringing out yesterday a la Paul Morgan. Younger readers will be mystified as to who he was, ask your Dad. I think it’s a bit late in the day and we could have afforded Raggett a chant of his own long ago but, as is now apparent he leaves us after Luton and yesterday was his final Sincil Bank appearance. He was as imperious as ever. Personally I hope he now stays with Norwich and battles for a place in their team. He’s played against Ipswich, Brighton, Burnley (with honours) and Arsenal all with distinction and has had an almost flawless half season in league two. I think he’s ready. What I will always remember of Raggett is the way he conducted himself through the speculation, the signing, the loan period. He didn’t miss a beat. A true legend and a true Imp. He’ll go far.

So, dear fellow fans we move on. Our own new recruits are largely awaited. We now anticipate two massively important matches which will shape the remainder of our season. The final run in is in sight. At worst, we retain our place in the football league. On the other hand?

No comments:

Post a Comment