Andrew Abbott's Blog

Sunday 9 December 2018

The importance of being resilient.





Just before five yesterday, watching Soccer Saturday and following the match on twitter (sorry radio Lincolnshire but sometimes I just want to get the facts of the game, not a commentary), inevitably all the results were in except for City’s and I got a text from my match companion Stewart, something along the lines of, good result today. As we were still playing I didn’t want to tempt providence but I needn’t have worried, City had ground out another win on the road.

There’s been a lot of negativity lately but we seem to have got into a familiar scenario again, the Imps doing what they do, adding to the points tally quietly and without drawing too much attention to themselves but as we approach the busy Christmas period City are surely where the managers would like us to be. I’m not too disappointed to be second in the table, City have it within their capabilities to get the win in due course against Yeovil to regain top spot but for the moment are looking comfortable where they are, despite a few wobbles among some element of the support.

It would be nice if a gap started to appear between third and fourth in the table but for the moment that isn’t happening. It often does though eventually. I was reading in the Echo that the Imps are expected to prosper from the inevitable deterioration in some clubs pitches as they are a squad for all seasons. Unusually, City’s pitch is expected to hold up well as the club have the resources to spend on it so home games will be business as usual hopefully and it was remarked on Hope and Glory I think it was that there are very few postponements at Sincil Bank and it would be an advantage if that remained the case.

It’s certainly the case that pitches will not be what they were at some venues due to the weather though and the ability to keep going whatever, presuming City do what they usually do and not all clubs are able to do that irrespective, Forest Green Rovers spring to mind there as a team that do not like it when the going gets tough. Much though we didn’t want to I think most of us were impressed with FGR in terms of their passing and ball retention (didn’t get them any points though) but you could imagine that won’t come so easily when the surface cuts up.

Thankfully the John Akinde debate has subsided somewhat and he scored, from a penalty again yesterday. There has been much debate about many of his goals coming from the spot to which I would say, well we get them, which is a definite plus, and Akinde puts them away, with aplomb. I’d go as far as to say I’ve not seen a better penalty taker in a City shirt and much as I cheered Sam Ellis’ blasters in their day I never used to have the confidence in him that I do in Akinde. Freck is good. Matt Rhead is an excellent penalty taker in his own mind but not on the pitch but in John we have a spot kick taker as good as any in my view and that includes the so called superstars at home and on the continent. Long may that continue. I don’t care how he gets them as long as he gets them.

No comments:

Post a Comment