Andrew Abbott's Blog

Friday 18 October 2019

Too Posh to push. For promotion.





We got caught up in a bit of a melee coming away from the Peterborough game. The police seemed to be intent on holding back part of the departing fans and I got talking to a fellow Imp who said if we play like that for the rest of the season we’ll be alright, or words to that effect. I think he was right, in fact I thought City were better than that and really the difference between the sides were the two, admittedly well taken, goals.

In terms of the play, in the first half particularly, it seemed to me if anything the Imps were the more fluid and of course, we know where the bulk of the Peterborough spending has gone and that showed. I’m probably going to get a few groans from certain quarters but I thought if John Akinde had a bit longer to rough up the Posh defence, that elusive goal may have come. Whether City could have then added another is debatable.

I’m not high profile enough to attract comment from other supporters but I gather the Peterborough fans seem to be developing delusions of grandeur when it comes to their team. If I’m honest I can see them getting promoted with that strike force but as for being a big fish in the championship, dream on would be my reaction to that. There are big enough creatures in league one never mind above.

Our concern is red and white however and another big test tonight. They’re all big tests of course but if City can produce the tempo they showed in the first half at Peterborough and the determination and potency of the Sunderland match, the season will be right back on track.

Today I’m wearing red to give the red card to racism. Not that difficult for a retired Imp on match day. I thought the usually tongue tied Chris Kamara was very eloquent on TV this morning and when he was describing the things he had to put up with in his playing days my head hung a little. I don’t think I ever joined in with the sort of chants that emanated from the terraces back in the day but the fact I can’t definitely confirm makes me uneasy.

I actually feel sorry for those black clad buffoons at the England game the other night. If you can’t respect others you surely don’t think yourself worthy of respect and I don’t think we can hold our heads all that high at the booing of the Bulgarian national anthem either.

It’s a small step from what went on in that game towards some of our players to picking on people for disability and where after that, the elderly? Widen the net still further and we could all be included in the treatment. Personally I’d say if you’re an Imp you’re one of us. Regardless. If you’re a football fan. Respect. Even if you’re clad in black and white or claret and blue or yellow. Respect. I still want my team to beat yours though.

No comments:

Post a Comment