Andrew Abbott's Blog

Friday 14 February 2020

Hear no evil, speak no evil.





Regular readers will know I sit in the Selenity stand. It used to be called the library but it’s not that quiet. It’s not a hotbed of discontent either and judging by what I hear of other parts of the stadium that’s something to be applauded. It was of course the realm of the old gits for want of a better expression. In fact, when an attempt to revive the Deranged Ferret was made I think one of my efforts at humour was entitled just that in some of my own contribution.

I also don’t pay a lot of attention to much of the social media output. You may think that keeps me out of the loop and you may be right but I just don’t want to spend my time reading armchair experts theories of what’s going wrong at the moment.

One of the reasons I don’t want to read that stuff is, to be honest I don’t think all that much is going wrong. The team sit at fourteenth in the table with well over half the fixtures fulfilled, Bolton are a basket case, holed below the water line by the powers that be, Southend are gonners despite our charity last weekend and Tranmere can only match what we’re doing at the moment.

One thing I did read, from some expert, is that he or she, I didn’t pay too much attention, could not believe people are happy to accept the status quo. Is that the fact that we’re two divisions above where we were, in mid table with the finish line in sight? You bet I accept it would be my response.

Watching City isn’t particularly easy at the moment, I’ll grant you that but unacceptable? I think some people need to get the history books out and research what many of us have been witnessing over the years. Maybe it was one of the fans who have known only success in terms of league position very recently. I don’t remember pure joy even over the last successful seasons though, there were as many turkeys of games as triumphs or maybe I’ve been watching something different to them.

Another thing that made me laugh. Someone in the posh seats next to where we ruffians sit left the game seven or eight minutes early. That in itself tells you what kind of “fan” they are. I can’t remember what the state of the game was, presumably we were trying to rescue the match as it was recently, anyway, this individual took the time, on the way out, to berate the manager, a futile gesture given that he could be neither seen nor heard, I just wondered at the mentality given all the home success we’ve enjoyed this season at home. Talk about can’t please all the people all the time.

Anyway, Accrington Stanley, away. In a gale. Should be interesting and I’m not going to pretend we couldn’t do with a win. Whether that will make or break the season is questionable.

No comments:

Post a Comment