Andrew Abbott's Blog

Monday 24 February 2020

Stevie boy making it up as he goes along-he has a point.





There’s no denying Gillingham are on a great undefeated run. On Saturday we saw how it’s done. I don’t think any of us can lay claim to going nearer than anyone else in ending it.

Yes the Steve Evans roadshow rumbled into town, that’s him rumbling in not the team bus. If anything you get even more of Steve for your money since that sprint down the line on the occasion of his last visit to the city. At least we were spared that but you have to say for a big chap he can certainly move. You don’t have to be that close to hear him either. My mate Stewart reckons that accent may be Ayrshire but I can tell him the great man hails from Glasgow, why am I not surprised? Glasgow these days is somewhat gentrified, cosmopolitan even but Stevie boy is from the get your revenge in first school and we got the full repertoire on Saturday. Verbally that is although, as per usual the super manager had a go at taking things further with Michael Appleton before being, as we have all heard by now, “put back in his box”.

Once out of the box Evans proceeded to give an appraisal of the game that would have left me wondering if he had been there at all had I not seen it for myself. Lincoln were the thugs, big bruisers Lincoln City. There was me thinking we were a bit lightweight, just goes to show what the expert eye can detect.

I said to the lady who sits the other side of me I thought Gillingham were a true reflection of their manager, she agreed with me. Niggly, combative, a bit nasty but staying just this side of the rules, well according to our referee they were, you may disagree, I certainly did. I thought they got away with a lot and yet we suffered the red card. Maybe Evans was right, we could certainly learn from Gillingham’s game plan. We’re not a big team but you have to look after yourself and look after your opponent too. Maybe now Bozzie’s back he could do a masterclass.

As to City I think we’re seeing improvement all the time. It’s still not translating in to wins but it looks to me that we’re moving in the right direction. Anyone who didn’t pick up the warnings that it was going to be a marathon not a sprint wasn’t listening as far as I’m concerned. I don’t go in for social media to any great extent myself, I can’t be doing with negativity. What you read on here is what I think and what I think is that the momentum is still there. We’re on the motorway and into fifth gear if not sixth but it certainly looks like the club on and off the pitch are going in the right direction.

There were just a couple of occasions in my time as a fan when City looked like they might get to the heady heights of championship level. On both occasions the bid failed due to lack of investment or more correctly lack of money. We’re not awash with cash, it’s going to take some wheeling and dealing but the will is there and the understanding of how to achieve further advancement is there too.

There will be lots more days like Saturday, we’re going to have to learn to accept these small steps towards our goal for what they are although I do have to say the mood of the crowd as we all trooped home seemed more positive than it has been for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment