Andrew Abbott's Blog

Saturday 17 March 2012

Trust a woman to hit the nail on the head.

In this most desperate of seasons it’s easy to lose sight of certain aspects of City’s world amid all the doom and gloom. Su Whittaker is BBC Lincolnshire’s interviewer at the weekly press conference down at Sincil Bank. Maybe I’m wrong but there always seems to be an aspect of, let’s get this bit out of the way then us chaps can have some serious discussion about football but Su asked the question that the male press wouldn’t have thought of. She asked a surprised David Holdsworth how he felt:-


“Thanks for asking, you’re the first person to ask actually. Look I think I came into the job well aware it would be a tough one, probably didn’t realise how tough and it probably wasn’t on the top of Mr Dorrian’s tongue to tell me about certain aspects but I’m a big boy, I have to take some elements and think why have they got so bad, why were they so bad and how can we change that, those things and these things can’t be changed overnight and they certainly haven’t been changed overnight, they’ve been mended and fixed? Tried to be but me, myself, I’m a very motivated person, I’m a fighter, I don’t mind a fight, I don’t mind rolling my sleeves up, I was like that as a person, as a player and I think people in the game will understand what I’m talking about is that, sometimes things don’t always go your way, I don’t mind rolling my sleeves up and getting dirty, it’s tough days, you ask yourself why? But I do enjoy it, I’m certainly enjoying the task we have here.”

Do your family understand that on some Saturday nights you’re sometimes best to be avoided?

“My wife is a very understanding lady, my children are fantastic, that’s probably the aspect, what people don’t realise, you come into, you take an opportunity like this, I enjoy it but there’s some days that you go home and you think I won’t bother keeping that phone on if you like but I think there’s a lot of managers out there who are in the same bracket and that’s what makes you want to thrive, to be successful. I do and I feel that there’s been a lot of success since we’ve been here but there’s still lots to be attended to. I’m very much a realist, it’s a fact that I knew it wasn’t going to be easy. Trying to explain that to other people and for them to understand it is a different matter but all I can do is keep erm, I’ve learned a lot in the time I’ve been a manager so, you know, I don’t get too high and I don’t get too low. There are days when you can’t put your finger on the button straight away and you have to analyse things that’s why I’m a huge believer of looking further into things and people. I can only prepare a side for the football club given the resources I have and after that, sometimes, when they take to the field, you’d like not to think, cross your fingers but sometimes you do.”

Women eh, what do they know? What does this tell us about David Holdsworth and the teams prospects? Ask again at five. It’s a big one alright.

No comments:

Post a Comment