Andrew Abbott's Blog

Friday 9 August 2013

Those lazy hazy crazy days of summer.



In common with other land owners I’ve been tending my crops over the summer. All right, I’ve been on my allotment during the football close season taking advantage of all that free time whilst our diversion of choice is having a rest.

Actually, come to think of it, rather like the recently retired, I’ve been wondering how I ever found time to visit Sincil Bank last winter such has been the weed based onslaught brought on by goodness only know what. If only my carrots has grown with such enthusiasm not to mention the parsnips. Oh well I won’t be needing parsnips for a few months yet and at least they are starting to show their serrated leaves.

So the player’s holidays have come and gone and so have the pre season friendlies and we’ve had the team photo. I don’t know what to make of the new shirt. Part of me actually likes it but I can’t get away from the fact that Lincoln City play in stripes, until this season that is.

I remember back in the day, when Dennis Bocock was the chairman city also didn’t play in stripes. Bocock was a Rotherham United fan really so he had his team play in red shirts with white sleeves a la Arsenal and of course Millers. City’s latest shirt looks to me like one of those 70’s style continental jobbies with the off centre stripe.

So can we look forward to some continental type play? Would we want that? Probably not. As ever we’ll get what we’re given but I do detect a bit more optimism around Lincoln this season and ticket sales have, I gather increased so fans feel the same way. Having said that I hear Mariners have sold getting on for 2000 season tickets and expect around 4000 for their first game. With the best will in the world and given that there is renewed interest in and goodwill for the Imps, I don’t think were anywhere near that.

No comments:

Post a Comment