Andrew Abbott's Blog

Tuesday 16 February 2016

If a week is a long time in politics a fortnight is a lifetime in football.




Everybody happy? We should be as Chris Moyses has shown he is capable of pulling City out of the malaise they’d got in to and the club backed him thanks no doubt to the extra money available now that our new director is on board.

I don’t want to be thought of as a cheerleader for the sometime beleaguered Imps boss but I do get heartily sick of the merry go round that City becomes at times and I think this shoot first ask questions later approach has had the opposite effect to the one desired. City must be one of the most unsuccessful clubs around and I don’t think they’ve helped themselves over the years.

The City supremo has an easy relationship with the press, I wish some of that would rub off on Bob Dorrian, and was in ebullient mood at the weekly press conference at Sincil Bank. He has the luxury of not needing his job financially indeed it was said he was unpaid when he took it up. I don’t know whether that is still true. He’s thinking ahead though:-

"Put it this way, as soon as the season finishes, I'll be on that plane and enjoying myself for a couple of weeks,"

Moyses hasn’t given up on this season though but allowed himself to give some thought to player matters as well as that much needed holiday:-

"I'm looking to retain quite a lot more this summer. I think they deserve something because they're a great group. All the deals are in place, it just needs the chairman to sign them off.
"If we can add a little bit to the squad too, who knows where it might take us."

Matt Rhead also showed he not too shabby in the cliché department either:

"We'll just concentrate on every game as it comes. Hopefully we'll get in the play-offs, but if we don't I still think we've had a good season," he said.
"The manager has got a good group of lads together and hopefully we can have a good push next season, if we don't make it this season.
"The football we're playing at the moment is quite positive. We're going out trying to win every game. If we can do that, we'll be in the play-offs."

All this sounds a world away from the doom ladened predictions of a few weeks ago. I’m all in favour of that. Rhead was full of admiration for his new strike partner Jack Muldoon. I don’t think he’s the only one to have noticed his contributions further underlining my comments on the Liam Hearn situation. What’s that saying? Be careful what you wish for. Any more of this and it will be Liam who?

"He's doing all my work for me, which is a positive! Seriously, he's done well and he scored a good goal on Saturday and had an assist too,"
"Everyone who is willing to do that amount of work is always a positive. Liam is the same. He works hard, he gets in behind and stretches the opposition.

"I think Eastleigh were worried about him on Saturday and they dropped really deep.
"That meant I was able to take up positions where I could get the ball more often than if I was playing up front on my own."

Liam may well be the same but he’s going to have to wait some time before he gets the chance. Perhaps Barrow want to take him to get some match practice, once he’s fit of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment