Andrew Abbott's Blog

Monday 3 October 2016

David Herd 1934-2016





I was greatly saddened to hear this morning of the death of David Herd, former manager of Lincoln City.

When I first branched out and started following the Imps independently of my Dad, Herd was the manager. It wasn’t a particularly successful period and I believe Herd did not manage again. His tenure was far from disastrous though and ushered in the modern era at the club following years of management by committee and the stellar performance, keeping the club at what is now Championship level, of Bill Anderson. Apart from Colin Murphy’s great effort many years ago when the club looked like once again reaching those heady heights City have rarely seemed likely to recreate those days.

What I do remember is a be suited manager, very smart and the club seemed to be starting to move in the right direction before Herd called it a day. His successor was Graham Taylor so it was as good a time to start following the Imps as any.

I think back to those days and the times that followed. I’m glad I became an Imp and David Herd was there at the very start of my supporting days so I do feel a sense of great loss today.

It’s a sad day.

No comments:

Post a Comment