Andrew Abbott's Blog

Sunday 2 October 2016

Good to be back.





“It's oh so nice to go trav'ling
But it's so much nicer, yes it's so much nicer, to come home”.

So goes the words of the song and it was great to be back at Sincil Bank even if my travels did take me to the Nou Camp. Home though is where the heart is.

Whilst I was away City barely troubled the scoreboard as they say but there was still a good crowd waiting to cheer the team on to the pitch and we were all rewarded with a 3.0 win against Danny Cowleys former charges, Braintree. Was it just my imagination or was the boss showing off just a little bit to his former club by having the sprinklers on before the match, Premier League style? Look at this, we’ve got sprinklers!

Cowley bristled a bit when interviewed by Michael Hortin on BBC Radio Lincolnshire after the game when it was suggested the match was not perhaps the pushover it sounded although I thought it was a perfectly valid point. The manager emphasised that Braintree had perhaps been a bit unlucky in their last few games where they might have done rather better than they did. Perhaps Cowley was showing some affection for his former charges but he was trying to say they were a better team than their results suggest and I certainly thought they gave a good account of themselves but City, buoyed by Nathan Arnold’s early goal never looked like slipping up. It does help of course if you can double your lead just when you appear to be struggling a bit, which City did courtesy of Luke Waterfall in the second half.

The Imps signed off in fine style with a cracking strike from Jack Muldoon right at the end and it was a good and entertaining performance from the home side in front of a sizeable contingent of students from the uni in City’s annual, and I think very sensible “come and see what we’ve got to offer” initiative from the club.

For once the team played their part and if I was a student I’d be inclined to make the Imps my other team whilst I was studying in the city. All this and Lincolnshire’s favourite tipple served in the bars, what’s not to like? (Other beverages available)

No comments:

Post a Comment