Andrew Abbott's Blog

Thursday 29 November 2018

Visible means of support.




It’s not for me as a blogger to attempt to cheerlead the Imps but my goodness me judging by some of the comments I’ve been reading on social media this week I wouldn’t like to be in the trenches with some of the keyboard warriors who appear to have given up on City already if the negativity I’ve been reading is anything to go by.

The Imps are going through a sticky patch, there’s no doubt about it but a couple of drawn games and the loss of the league lead is hardly a disaster not that you’d know that from some of the doomsayers.

With all this lack of confidence comes an unfortunate and in my view unnecessary criticism of individual players principally John Akinde who’s only crime as far as I can see is not scoring many goals. Anyone who cares to look can see the players indispensability to the side but this aspect is ignored in the, well I won’t call it clamour, there’s not enough of them but lets say the call for Matt Rhead to start. For all I know this may be what the manager has in mind but surely that move would be a return to a more one dimensional approach when we have so much more in our armoury now?

Anyway, again, it’s not for me to criticise my fellow supporters but surely, in that role it’s up to us to get behind the team and, well, support. We’ve built up our reputation as a vociferous and partisan crowd as has been commented on by various managers so let’s not slip into the bad old ways of players preferring to play away from home as has happened in the past.

In any event we have a break from the rigours of the league this weekend, perhaps we needed a change of scene and a golden but lets not be too gung ho about it, difficult chance of progressing to the third round of the FA Cup and with it the chance of landing a real big fish either at Sincil Bank or away at a famous venue as we so enjoyed the season before last. The task of disposing of Carlisle United stands in the way of further progress first though and they held our heroes in another two draw sequence earlier in the season.

Maybe the manager will ring the changes for this game. Personally I’d like to see Matt Green get a chance to impress but I’d think the manager will give a fair amount of emphasis to this game what with the prize money on offer and the chance of further adventures should the Imps overcome Carlisle but were going to need all our resources going into the battle and that includes us the supporters.

Cup or league we’ve come too far in this journey to falter now and it’s as good a time as any to remind ourselves that our enemies are outside the walls and not within and furthermore there is a prize greater than any of us could have dreamed of waiting to be grasped. Are you up for the fight? I know I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment